Surely each of us at least once in our life had to give up his belongings for storage. Especially often resorted to this service resident of the modern metropolis, where the conditions of existence and business change with incredible frequency. How to save your belongings and what solution can offer modern market services in Illinois – let’s consider these issues in this article.
Types of storages for things during the move
There are several types of storage facilities that differ in size, function, and have their advantages and disadvantages.
- The traditional storage is most often an ordinary room, usually a large factory-type facility located some distance from the city.
- A separate room in the building. Such options are sometimes offered by office business centers. The advantage of this solution is that often such storages have heating, tracking systems, and even Internet access.
- Container-type storage. These are large shipping containers originally designed to carry a variety of cargo. Such containers have extremely high rates of reliability, strength, resistance to environmental changes.
Pros and cons of storing things during the move
- Effective release of useful space.
- Protection of property from third-party encroachment. Thanks to round-the-clock security, video surveillance, and alarm systems, storing your belongings is very safe.
- Protection against man-made factors. Temporary storage storages are equipped with modern fire alarms and fire extinguishing systems.
- Protection from pests and vagaries of nature and compliance with preservation regimes. Most of them have effective climate control.
- Twenty-four-hour access to your belongings.
- Loading, transportation, unloading, furniture assembly-disassembly, preparation for long-term storage, and packing of all items.
There are not many disadvantages and only you decide how significant they are:
- Comparatively high price. The cost of renting a storage units St George Utah is higher than the cost of space in the basement or attic.
- Remoteness from home. After all, storage facilities are not scattered within the city limits and you have to travel to them.
How to choose a storage company
When choosing an organization that provides storage facilities for rent, you should consider its reputation in the market, the period of operation, the number of services provided, and so on. But above all, you should pay attention to its attitude towards the client. It is not only about the politeness of the consultant, but also the timing of the solution to each issue that arises, the ability to meet the client, and the careful implementation of any, even the smallest, requirement.
More often than not, the moving company that is approached for help, has at its disposal quality storage facilities. In this case, you should study the comments and reviews of the chosen company, so as not to find yourself in an unpleasant situation.
TOP mistakes when choosing a storage
A rational option that will reduce the financial and time costs is to rent a storage space during the move. But not all storages and their owners are equally good. We’ve written out the most common mistakes when choosing a storage unit.
- Cold or humid storage with no shelving – not packed goods spoiled;
- Unguarded area and no alarm system – cargo was stolen;
- Location with no traffic interchanges – no quick access, possible congestion, or accidents;
- Poor quality packaging, no additional packaging when receiving the cargo – damage to the cargo and things in transit;
- Lack of fire alarms – fire and loss of items;
- Lack of coordination between the client’s visit and the storage’s work schedule – inability to quickly pick up the cargo on weekends or public holidays;
- Storage with no rigging equipment: a rocker, stacker, forklift – inefficient placement or placement in inappropriate locations;
- Rackless storage – the threat of damage or simply lack of storage space for your shipment;
- Lack of a transportation or fulfillment department in the company – no way to get things out of the storage to you or your customers;
- Warehousing without a storage agreement – no insurance or reimbursement for lost or damaged goods;
- Acceptance-transfer of items without supporting documents, acceptance-transfer act, inventory of property – no way to resolve disputes in case of loss or damage to items;
- Inability to accept bulky cargo – the likelihood of unreliable placement and storage of all your belongings or cargo;
- Payment in cash for storage without supporting documents – problems with tax and accounting reports.
Where to store things is up to you. The main thing is that they were safe, and you can use them fully for more than one season.