Does your PC keep crashing while you are in the middle of some important task? Is your pc crashing during games? Are you looking for a solution to fix the problem? If the answer is yes for all these questions, then believe me you’re at the right place.
So if your Windows keeps crashing, while doing any task then these five simple yet effective ways that we are going to discuss in this article will help you to fix this problem.
Why Windows Keep Crashing
There can be various reasons that cause this problem. However, the most prominent ones that cause random pc crashes are faulty hardware, incompatible software that you have installed, incompatible or outdated device driver, corrupted files and a malware or virus. But irrespective of these several reasons, the good news is that there are solutions available to fix the problem of PC crashing. So without further ado let’s check out 5 simple ways to fix Windows keeps crashing problems.
What to do if your PC Keeps Crashing
What to do if your pc keeps crashing, this is the question for which we try to find the answer for.
So for this we have clubbed 5 thoroughly tested ways that will help you to fix the crashing issues. Also, you do not need to follow all the steps, you just need to follow them one by one until your problem gets resolved.
Disconnect external devices
If your PC started crashing after you have connected a recent external device then it’s possible that external device has some compatibility issues and thus causing your pc to crash. So, to fix this problem, we suggest you disconnect or unplug any of the external devices such as the keyboard, external disk or dongle connected to your PC. Once you have unplugged all your devices, try restarting your computer to check whether it fixes the Windows 10 crashing problem. If this has fixed the problem, then try connecting each external device one at a time to locate the one that is causing this issue.
Run System File Checker
If your PC crashes randomly at any point of time then there is a possibility that you have corrupt system files in your pc. However, if this is the case then you need not to worry as windows have an inbuilt tool known as System File Checker (SFC), that helps you to scan and fix all the corrupt system files.
To run SFC follow the steps given below:
- On the Windows search box type cmd. From the top available result, right-click on the Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Now on the command prompt screen type the following command and press enter
- Now just sit back and relax till windows verifies the system files and automatically fix if any corrupt system files are found.
- Once the process completes, close the command prompt screen.
Now start using your users. If the problem of crashing windows was due to corrupt system files then it will be fixed. But in case your pc keeps crashing then head on to the next fix.
Disable Link State Power Management
The Link State Power Management is a part of the PCI-E Specification that works with the active state power management. So if there is something wrong with the power management, then your PC keeps on crashing. In order to fix this our next step is turning off Link State Power Management by following the steps below:
- Open the Control Panel on your computer and click on the Power Options. (Make sure View by option in Control Panel is not set to categories).
- Now on the Power Options screen, click on the Change plan settings option for the power plan you have currently opted for.
- Next in the Edit Plan Settings window, click on Change advanced power settings option.
- Now on the Power Options windows, scroll down to PCI Express and double click on it to expand.
- Next, double click on the Link State Power Management, and change its status to Off. Once done click on Apply > Ok to save the changes.
Restart your computer and start using your PC as normal to check whether it resolved the issue or not. In case the Windows still keeps crashing then it is due to an outdated or missing driver.
Update Outdated Drivers on your Computer
Is your pc crashing during games or doing any other random task, then there is a high probability that you have some outdated or missing drivers on your computer. However, this problem can be easily fixed by updating the driver to the latest either manually or automatically using a driver updater tool.
For manually updating the driver, you need to first visit the device manufacturer website and search for the correct driver that is compatible with your operating system. Once you are able to find the driver then download and install it on your computer. This approach however sometimes requires extensive research, time and pc skills.
Therefore we recommend to use a driver updater tool to automatically update all your outdated with the most compatible and latest ones. Advanced Driver Updater is one such program that helps you to update all your outdated drivers without being worrying about the OS version and the device details for which you need the drivers.
Perform a System Restore
Moving on to the final fix to resolve the problem of crashing the PC, you can perform a system restore and revert your system to a previous state before the problem arises. To perform system restore process follow the steps listed below:
Note: Please note that these steps will only work if there exists a system restore point on your system.
- On the Windows search box, type recovery and click Recovery from the list of available results.
- Next click on the Open System Restore option.
- Now, select the option that reads Choose a different restore point, and then select the restore point before the occurrence of the system crash.
- Next follow the on-screen instructions to finish the restore process.
Now, once the system restore is performed, the problem of windows keep crashing will be resolved.
So folks these were the top 5 ways to fix pc crashing issues on your computer. We hope that you will now be able to fix the problem and can use your computer without any random crashes.