The neck is made up of bone that is known as vertebrae. It extends to the upper torso from the skull. Cervical discs are present in that area to absorb shock between the vertebrae. The ligaments and muscles are responsible for the movement and support of your head.
Any type of injury or abnormality can cause stiffness and pain during the movement of the neck. Due to poor posture or overuse of the muscle also, you might face pain or stiffness in the neck joint area. A serious injury can also be the reason for neck pain and stiffness.
Sometimes the pain can be mild and sometimes it can be serious which can lead to distraction from work and many other problems. Physical therapies are helpful in getting neck pain relief. If you are having any injury then you can consult your doctor about the same.
If you are suffering from neck pain for more than a week on a continuous basis then it is a serious issue that you need to take care of.
Causes of Neck Pain
Before you do something to get neck pain relief, you should know what are the causes of pain. The pain or stiffness in the area can be because of different reasons, such as:
- Poor posture
- Working in the same posture for too long
- Sleeping in a bad posture
- A jerk caused during the workout
- Injury due to car accident, falling or paying sports
A Symptom for Heart Attack
The neck pain you are suffering from can be a symptom of a heart attack. If it is a heart attack then the neck pain comes along with other symptoms, such as:
- Excess sweating
- A jaw or arm pain
- Shortness of breath
The other causes can be as follows:
- Swelling of the joints and pain can be caused due to rheumatoid arthritis, which can also affect the neck area.
- Osteoporosis can cause bone weakness along and can be the reason for small fractures.
- Muscle pain due to fibromyalgia and the prime body areas that are affected by this pain are neck and shoulder muscles.
- Narrowing of the spinal column due to spinal stenosis. It also causes pressure on the spinal cord causing pain in the neck.
- Slip disk, trauma, or injury are also some of the common reasons behind neck pain.
Apart from these, a few of the rare causes of neck pain include:
- Spine cancer
- Congenital abnormalities
Right Time to See Doctor
If you are suffering from pain and want to get neck pain relief. You should get an appointment if it continues for a week or more. Other conditions when you must consult your doctor are as follows:
- Fever along with pain
- Lump in your neck
- Severe neck pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Feeling weakness
- Trouble in breathing or swallowing
- Unable to touch your chin to your chest
- Unable to move your legs or arms
- Bowel or bladder dysfunction
These are the cases that require immediate attention and you must consult your doctor to get neck pain relief. Tell your problem to your doctor properly to get the best medication and treatment.
Physical Therapy For Neck Pain Relief
Physical therapies are really effective in getting neck pain relief. It begins with a proper diagnosis of your problem and then moving on to the treatment. The primary focus of physical therapy is to improve your neck’s flexibility, strength, mobility, and range of motion.
Physical therapists are quick in finding the problem along with the best solution that is suitable for you. Whether you had an operation, surgery, or injury, it can be helpful in all of the cases. The reason behind it is that it improves the overall functioning of the respective part of the body.
Another best part of physical therapies is that they are customized according to the type of pain or problem you are suffering with. The therapists you are choosing for the physical therapy will diagnose the problem and then make a custom plan according to it.
The requirements of your body will be analyzed and treatment will begin. The therapy can also include the following:
- Manual Therapy – This therapy includes manipulating the neck joint with a massage. It is to improve the movement, mobility along with triggering the point of pain.
- Targeted Exercises – It includes strengthening and stretching the neck muscles. This can help you get the endurance of the muscles back.
- Ultrasound Therapy – It is a therapy that is used to break the scar tissue after an injury. The healing process gets faster with the help of ultrasound therapy.
- Ergonomic Recommendations – It is for people who are having a desk job and require to sit on the same desk. The therapists suggest some adjustments that need to be made to your desk and chair to avoid any further problems.
Physical therapy is the best choice to get neck pain relief as it is very effective and according to the problem of the patient. You need to find the best therapists to get a diagnosis of the problem and then start with the same. Also, consult your doctor so that you are not having any serious trouble.